This park lies in an historic area. One half block to the north on Main Street, covered wagons headed west along the Oregon Trail. The canal that runs through the park, the Grove Street Ditch, was constructed in 1866. Large water wheels every fifty to one hundred yards along the canal lifted water to flumes which carried it to many gardens along Main Street.
Grove Street was once Boise’s most prestigious residential area. C.W. Moore built a grand home at Eighth and Grove Street in 1879 (left) which became the Delamar Hotel after the Moores moved to a new mansion on Warm Springs Avenue and Walnut Street. The hotel was demolished by Urban Renewal in 1972, but several artifacts, including a bay window, were salvaged by the Idaho Historical Society and are now on display in the Idaho State Historical Museum in Julia Davis Park.
The two lots Moore deeded to the city for a children’s park and playground which were not developed until the 1930s when a playground was finally built. In 1956 a World War II barracks was moved to the site to serve as a home for the Idaho Society of Crippled Children and Adults. When the Society moved in 1975, the Boise Jaycees used the building as a community and youth center. The building was removed to make way for the re-establishment of the park, which was dedicated in 1983.